Just 20 years after the birth of the Cumberland Presbyterian Denomination, the church in Lebanon, Tennessee found its origin.
The Lebanon Cumberland Presbyterian Church had humble beginnings. In 1829, George Donnell began preaching by a monthly appointment in Lebanon. The first worship meetings were held in the Methodist Church, then the courthouse, and later in a rented log cabin.
During the summer of 1831, the first church building was erected as a joint project of the Masons (who used the upper story) and the Cumberland Presbyterians (who used the lower story). This building was used until 1855 when a larger building was needed and it was located at 201 North Cumberland Street.
In 1917, the building was damaged by a storm and a new building was constructed at the same location. The church grew in number and in faith. In November of 1958, the church stepped out in faith and purchased a 3.3-acre tract at 522 Castle Heights Avenue for $12,500. The plans were adopted for the new building in March of 1959 and the building was dedicated on May 15, 1960.
Current history speaks for itself. We come from a long line of faithful Christians who persevered through harsh and even critical times. We continue to be faithful to the calling that God has placed on our lives and we will continue to be involved in our community, be willing to step out in faith and obedience to God, and do all of these things for the glory of God and the communication of the Gospel.
For more information on the history of how the Cumberland Presbyterian Denomination was formed click here.